Looking for a treat to satisfy your sweet tooth? Try these dairy free brownie cookies! All the rich, decadent flavor of a brownie – in grab-and-go cookie form. These are easy to make and sure to please any chocolate lover.
Here’s a photo of all the ingredients you’ll need to make these cookies, along with selected ingredient notes:
- Dairy free butter – Both Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks with Avocado Oil and Earth Balance Soy Free Butter Sticks work for this recipe. I prefer the Country Crock sticks, but they do have a cross contamination warning for soy for those of you who need to avoid that as well.
- Chocolate chips – For this recipe, I really like the semisweet Nestle Allergen Free Morsels. If you want a richer, darker chocolate, then go with the Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips. You could also use the Walmart “Free From” Morsels. Just be sure to always check product labels since the allergy-friendly product lines can look similar to the regular product lines.
This recipe is quite simple to make, and you’ll find the full recipe instructions and amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Here’s a helpful overview with photos.
Start by mixing together the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the chocolate chips and dairy-free butter. Pop this in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval. It should only take 2-3 intervals to fully melt the chocolate; do not overcook or the cookies will taste off.
Stir the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. The cookie “dough” will look like thick brownie batter; it will not look like standard cookie dough. This is normal.
Spoon out heaping tablespoons onto the baking sheet. It will spread; this is normal.
Bake these for about 10-12 minutes, and then remove from the oven! You’ll notice that nice cracking texture on top of the cookie.
Let them cool, then enjoy!
Here are some common questions that may come up as you make this recipe:
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Yes, feel free to freeze them in a zip top bag. Use within a few months for best quality. You can either let the cookie defrost on the counter when you’re ready to enjoy, or defrost for a few seconds in the microwave.
This particular cookie recipe is supposed to be flatter than other fluffier cookie recipes. This gives the outside an ever-so-slightly crisp top (like a brownie edge) but a soft and chewy center.
Allergens in this recipe
* Disclaimer: Always double check ingredients and product packaging to confirm a recipe meets your allergy needs. While I try to note potential allergens below, there is always the chance I may miss something or that manufacturer formulations may change.
As written, this recipe is dairy free.
Depending on your choice of dairy free butter and chocolate chips, this recipe can also be easily made soy free and nut free. For example, Earth Balance soy free sticks could be used for the butter, along with allergen-free chocolate chips, which would meet these needs.
This recipe does contain wheat/gluten (in the flour) and eggs. I have not tested substitutes for these ingredients. I imagine a gluten-free all purpose blend would work well in this recipe to create a wheat/gluten free version.
However, the eggs are fairly important for binding the cookie in this particular recipe, so I’m not sure any egg substitutes would work well.
As always, if you experiment with substitutes, feel free to let us know how it turned out.
More dairy free cookie recipes
If you want more delicious cookies to satisfy your sweet tooth, try one of these recipes:
- Coconut oil chocolate chip cookies
- Dairy free peanut butter cookies
- Dairy free cowboy cookies
- Dairy free chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips
- Dairy free “M&M” cookies
- Molasses cookies
I hope you love these dairy free brownie cookies! If you get a chance to try them, feel free to leave a recipe rating or comment below.
Dairy Free Brownie Cookies
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free butter (i.e. Country Crock plant butter sticks)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Set aside for now.
In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and dairy free butter in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted (it should only take 2-3 intervals to fully melt them). Stir the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture.
Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to another bowl. Stir until combined, then add to the wet ingredients. The consistency will belike a very thick brownie batter; this is normal.
Spoon out heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the baking sheet (it will spread a bit, this is normal). Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 15 minutes, then enjoy.
Nutrition analysis (approximate per cookie): 154 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 75 mg sodium, 21.5 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 17 g sugar, 1 g protein, Vitamin D: 1%, Calcium: 1%, Iron: 2%, Potassium: 0%
Share: What’s your favorite kind of dairy free cookie?
Feel free to pin this post to share with others!